Monday, October 22, 2012

Why I Dont Use Instagram to Take Photos - Exposure Control

Ahh...The world of cell phone photography, its one of the most convenient and popular ways people are taking photos, editing photos, and sharing photos. The days where everyone walked around with a 35mm SLR camera is now being replaced with smartphones. Good or bad? Well, I think its good, but I will talk more on that later.
I use my iPhone heavily for capturing and sharing images; and the new popular app/network, Instagram, just makes that much more exciting. with Instagram you can capture photos with your phone, add some cool effects, a title, and share it with hundreds of people within seconds. The possibilities are endless. With that said, I still choose to use external camera apps to edit and even process my photos, and here is why.

More control over exposure






Instagrams camera is nice, its pretty much the default camera that comes with the phone but cropped to a square. Only problem is, I lose some control over the exposure of my image. As a photographer, I have to control the lighting of my photographs, its a must. The program I choose to use is Camera+. It cost a whole wopping .99cents in the app store, but its worth. It allows me to separate the exposure point from the focus point in my pictures. If you notice in instagram, when select something to focus on in the viewfinder, it also meters the light from the same area. However, in camera plus, it allows you to separate everything.







Look below for some examples of the Camera+ app and how I can control the exposure and make the image look drasticall different.

The normal mode in Camera+
combines the exposure with the
focus point. This is like the normal
camera app and Instagram
Now I have the exposure circle on
the computer screen, causing the
camera to meter off the screen, making
an overall darker image. The focus is
still on the pen holder.
The exposure circle is on the the dark
speaker, which will cause the camera
to meter off the speaker, making the image brighter than the previous.

As you see, with the Camera+ application, I have more control over the image exposure, something Instagram simply does not give me.

With that said. Instagram is amazing! I use it daily and its a recommended program to share photos and add some cool effects to them. I choose to use other programs to capture photos, but Instagram to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment