Friday, May 24, 2013

A Little History

I've always seen myself, as a creative person. Not pushing this thought in a cocky manner, but, just reflecting on my short history, I've always had a thrive to innovate. 
Drawing, building, crafting, creating, were things I did growing up; but being creative was never something I tried to do, I just did things as an outlet.

I remember looking at a box full of photographs my dad took a while back, and being amazed at how the subjects were captured and the techniques used in the photographs. I wanted to learn how to create images worthe taking a second look at. 

Photography became another outlet for me, because It allowed me to portray the world from my perspective. As an added bonus, I'm also a gear head, so all of the tech toys I get to use in photography keep me intrigued as well. 
When I first started off taking pictures I shot film, because that's what I had access to. But what a lot photography enthusiast skip out on is education. I was heavily involved, at an early age of 12, in reading and studying the art of photography. I became a student of light and learned how to tame the beast that it is.

Ocean-side along The California Coast. Taken with Canon T-90 35mm film camera ISO 200 Kodak Film
Tiger photographed at the SF Zoo. Taken with Canon T-90 35mm film camera ISO 200 Kodak Film
Film was a great learning experience. It didn't offer the privilege of seeing your results immediately, and I was limited to 24 shots per roll of film. In return, it forced me to spend more time putting my shots together. I had to learn to be patient and precise with my work, especially when I did jobs for clients.

Today I running an up and coming photography business. I love it, the feeling of waking up and being excited about your job is something I experience but I want that feeling to come more often. Hopefully one day I can quit my day job, or at least find one the compliments my passion for photography. 
Until then, I will continue to work relentlessly with photography and see where my passion takes me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment